March 12, 2010

Growing Pains

We are experiencing growing pains in our home.



First grade has been hard. Hard adjustments and fun. For both Cameron and mom.

It is crazy to watch my children get so big and do things on their own. I know that this is just the beginning and that they are still relatively small. As parents we want to spare the hard knocks of life from our kids. But in reality we can't. Actually isn't that what is wrong with most of society? Kids growing up being so sheltered and told that they are so awesome that when they find out that they aren't they don't know what to do? But still it can break a mothers heart.

First grade has been that first awareness that the world can be cruel and isn't fair. The realization that some "friends" aren't nice. Not everyone is the smartest in the class and in fact there are kids that are smarter, read better, draw better, write better, run faster, have cooler wii games, cooler clothes and have more friends than you. It is a hard pill to swallow when you have been told how great you are for the first 6 years of life.

Cameron came home last week so sad. His friend that he likes so much doesn't like him so much. As he cried in my arms I cried too. Not so much because of the friend but because I can't shelter him from the hard truths of life. Life isn't fair. It wasn't much fun learning that lesson for myself but I think even harder to watch. We are definitely experiencing some pains of growing up. Yuck.

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a cute baby Cam, he is so tiny. We are dealing with the same at our house. I didn't realize that I would have to be "tough" watching my kids grow up. We think that Cam is great too so you can keep telling him that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little sweet heart. I'm not looking forward for tht but I"m sure you are doing a great job Mindy :)

    ReplyDelete