July 16, 2010

DAY 5- Temple Square




We spent the afternoon walking around Temple Square and enjoying the sights. Looking at the Christus statue is still one of my favorite things to see. The kids were loving all the water fountains and we had a hard time trying to keep them out of them.





We walked around the Joseph Smith Building and loved this view! One of the things Mitch and I wanted to do while in Salt Lake was to go to a session at the Salt Lake Temple. We had never been. I was SO disappointed when I found out that the temple was closed for maintenance the entire time we were there. On a positive note, we got to park for free saving us 10 bucks!





We also walked around the Church History Museum. I would have loved to been able to read and enjoy everything there. Not possible with six children. They had a I am a Child of God exhibit that the kids enjoyed. Cameron's favorite thing to see was the Conference Center. We didn't go on the full tour this time, just too long but we were able to see the auditorium where the prophet speaks to us during General Conference. What a beautiful building it is.





Our last stop was to the Salt Lake City Cemetery. I was very excited to see some of the prophets buried there. It was cool to find President Hinckley grave. I probably could have spent the whole afternoon there looking at all the old graves of pioneers and other "famous" church leaders but I was the only one really excited about walking around a cemetery in 90+ degree weather. We did find a few of the prophets before we left. Next time I am going back by myself with a map!



Later that night we went swimming at the Murray outdoor pool. This was the same pool that I learned to swim in and spent a lot of time there as a kid each summer. As kids , Kara, Katie and I would ride our bikes to the pool and spend the entire day swimming. It was fun to bring my kids to the same place. Cameron and Anna jumped off the diving board and all the rest of them enjoyed going down the water slide!

No comments:

Post a Comment