August 8, 2009

Blueberries and Bees!



This week I read in the newspaper that it is a fantastic blueberry season. I called Kierstin and we decided to go picking at Larsen Lake in Bellevue. The blueberry farm there is big and cost $1.25 a pound for the berries and not far way so we headed out with the kids in tow. We were a little disappointed to see that the berries were small and not the big, round, juicy things that we imagined. The man told us that we might need to go farther back on the farm because a lot of people had already picked and to be beware of bees in the bushes. Words I should have heeded!
The kids loved it, Natalie and Mesha were eating the berries off the bushes fast as they could pick them. Soon I came across a rather large nest in the bushes. I called the kids over to look at it...big mistake! We bumped the bush and angry bees started flying out of the nest. I have never seen bees attack but that is what they started doing. They were landing on me and I couldn't get them off. I then told the kids to run away from the bush and the bees. In the end I got stung on my arm and my face (I think maybe twice on my face). Man, that hurts! Cameron was screaming and crying, Kierstin and I think he might have gotten stung on the head but we never could tell. He was screaming "This is terrible, this is just terrible!" After the excitement of the bees died down the rest of the blueberry picking wasn't as eventful. In fact the berries were so small that after an hour we both picked only about a pound each. They are good though and we had blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Cameron and Julia haven't stopped talking about the bees and probably won't until next year! When we got back from picking Cameron gave everyone else a good impression of me telling everyone to run for it. We all got a good laugh.
What an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment