February 28, 2012

Pet Flamingo

Over Mid-Winter Break in hopes of something "fun to do" we went to the dollar store and each picked out something that we wanted.  Natalie decided on a three pack of pin wheels





Cameron knew instantly what he wanted. A whoopee cushion.  I had no idea that he even knew what those were.  He was so excited to get home and try it out.  To his despair it was already broken before we got it home.  They had used a box cutter at the store and sliced it so it wouldn't blow up.  I was going to take it back to the store and get my $1 back but realized that it was not worth the trip.












 Julia decided on this: A magic growing pet flamingo

















You put it in a jar of water and after a couple days it is supposed to "hatch" out of its egg. It is taking a little longer than we thought but it is finally starting to hatch.  The girls are very excited.  Yesterday Natalie was looking at it and she said to me "Can the Flamingo breathe in the water?  Is it going to be okay?"  It then hit me that she thought that we were actually growing a real flamingo and it was going to be our pet.  I could see the look of disappointment in her eyes when I told her it was fake and just a pretend flamingo.  What a bummer!

On a side note:  Cameron's pack in cub scouts is working on "pets" this week.  One of the things to pass off is "Take care of a pet."  Poor guy he doesn't even have a fish to take care of.  Maybe our pet flamingo might count!

1 comment:

  1. My flamingo still only has his head out of the egg nothing more has happened. But thats okay. AND you didnt warn me that it wasnt a real flamingo! I was looking forward to flocking it in the backyard! Heart break. :)

    ReplyDelete