September 8, 2013

Road Trip

 
In July, I took a road trip with my mom, Katie, and Laura to Utah for the Hulse family reunion.  This was the first time I had ever left my kids and husband for so long (ok so pretty much never). We left on a Thursday morning and got home Sunday evening, it was a fast trip but so much fun!   Mitch and I originally talked about taking the family to the reunion but the timing and money just didn't work out (Lucy is a terrible traveler!!)  Let it be stated for the record and the obvious.... road trips without kids is a completely different experience.  I almost didn't know what to do with myself for 13 hours without having to deal with anyone but me.  Well, I did manage to beat Laura at Phase 10!
 
 
The first night we stayed with my Grandma Schvaneveldt.  It had been a long time since I have seen her.  It was fun to catch up and see so many things from my childhood in her home.  Her famous egg collection, that as a child we were never to touch!  The games in her toy shelves are still the same!  We also drove to the cemetery to visit grandpa.


 
On the way down to Utah we discussed what we wanted to do while we were there.  Quilted Bear was of course on the list.  We also decided that we wanted to go to the Salt Lake Cemetery and visit all the prophets graves.  This was so interesting and fun searching for all of them.  We saw all the prophets that were buried there (a few of them are at other cemeteries) and also some famous pioneers as well.  If the sprinklers weren't going the whole time we were there it might have made it a lot easier but memorable to say the least.

 
 
We also stopped to take pictures of all the temples we passed.  This is the new Brigham City temple.  So pretty!
 
 
 
On the way down Laura made the comment that she wanted to get all The Work and the Glory books.  I mentioned that she could probably find them all at the D.I. while we were in Utah.  We then spent a good part of our trip going to every D.I. that we passed.  In the end, Laura got them all!
 
 
 
The family reunion was a lot of fun.  It was good to see so many of my uncles, aunts, and cousin that I haven't seen in a very long time.  I was sad that my family wasn't able to come and meet so many of them.  The blue monkey and wind up teeth are my winnings from Uncle Jim's bingo game.  We took a huge family photo of my grandpa and grandma's posterity before everyone left.  I still haven't seen a copy of it but it is quite the group!  Also before we left we visited Grandma and the cemetery to visit Grandpa.
 

 
On the way home we took the detour to visit the Golden Spike Memorial.  Every time we go to Utah I want to go and see this but we never do.  I can now say that I have been there. It is in the middle of nowhere.....

 
What a fun time we had.  I am so glad that I was able to go and spend some time with my mom and a few of my sisters!!  We need to do another sister road trip soon!


2 comments: